Joseph Esterházy initiated the construction of a hunting lodge with twenty-two rooms in 1720.
At 1763 Nicholas Esterházy succeeded to the ducal title and the owner of the palace Utilising the grandeur of 18th century Baroque-Rococo architecture, Duke Nicholas enlarged the palace, and with the help of Nicolaus Jakoby he created a large garden with several alleys. Duke Nicholas Esterházy IV. and his wife Countess Margaret Cziráky at the early 20th century started the restoration of the palace and the gardens.
The modernisation of the park started in 1902. Among the designers of the gardens was Anton Umlauft.
The greatest attraction of the gardens, the Rosary was installed in 1908.
The palace and the gardens are open to the public since the 1960’s. Today the castle and the gardens are managed by the Esterházy Cultural Reserach and Festival Centre Nonprofit LTD.