First notes on the existence of the royal garden around the complex of Narikala fortress.
Historical garden was devastated by the fire as a result of invasion by Agha Mohammad Khan.
Administration of Russian empire transferred the garden to the department of state and was named as “Tbilisi Treasury Garden”.
The garden was transferred to the Russia’s administration of healthcare.
The garden was established as pharmacy (physic) garden and was transferred to the Caucasian society of encouragement of agriculture and manufacture.
The garden moved to the disposition of Viceroy of the Caucasus M. Vorontsov, was formally established as a botanical garden and named “Tbilisi Botanical Garden”.
The first fortyfing walls and terraces have been developed in the area surrounding the rived bed.
The garden was transformed into enjoyment or promenade garden and scientific-research activities and creation of plant collections have been stopped.
The school of gardening was opened and the garden was named “The garden of “Gardening school”.
The Gardening school was abolished and the status of Botanical garden restored.
Hans Sharere was appointed as a manager of the Garden.
French orangery was constructed.
Garden was transferred under the supervision of the Ministry for land cultivation and agriculture.
Museum of the Botanical Garden has been established.
- 1887 – the first catalog of collections of the Botanical garden was published.
- 1889 – A. Ginzenberg was appointed as a manager of the Garden.
- 1891 – Scientific cabinets have been established.
- 1892 – Collecting of herbarium of Caucasus plants has started.
- 1892 – Scientific Library of the Botanical Garden has been established.
- 1895 – The first proceedings of scientific works of the Botanical Garden has been published.
- 1896 – the Garden territory was extended by 26ha area.
- 1898 – The Garden territory has been extended by 22 ha area.
- 1899 – Adolf Christian Roloff acts as an acting head of the Garden.
- 1900 – The first school of professional worker gardeners was established.
- 1902 – Adolf Christian Roloff was appointed as the first director of the Botanical Garden.
- 1902-1916 – Scientific departments and laboratories have been established.
- 1902-1916 – experimental stations have been organized in Caucasus scale – (Bakuriani Alpine Botanical Garden, Bobokvati (Jiati) Garden for the introduction of subtropical plants) (Ajara); Karayaz nursery (Kvemo Kartli), Gokcha (Sevan) Alpine Botanical Garden; Agstafa and Mughan (nowadays Azerbaijan territory), Ozurgeti, Saqara and Zugdidi Experimental stations.
- 1909-1914 – The tunnel, connection the Garden with the city center in Sololaki, has been constructed.
- 1914 –An arched white bridge has been constructed.
- 1917 – The school of gardening was abolished.
- 1921 – Various transcaucasus experimental stations left the Garden structure.
- 1923-1924 – Due to severe frosts and drought part of plant collections were lost.
- 1934 – Botanical Garden split into several independent scientific institutions, Institute of Botany and Herbarium and Library as well left Botanical Garden and were transferred to the Executive committee of worker deputies of the city council.
- 1934-35 – Additional 10 ha area was transferred to the Garden.
- 1938 – The first centralized line of irrigation network was laid out in the Garden.
- 1943 – Garden was conferred the status of scientific-research Institution and it became the unit of the Academy of Sciences.
- 1943 – V. Gulissashvili was appointed s a director of teh Garden.
- 1947 – construction of the French garden – “Parterre” has been started.
- 1949 – publishing of the proceedings of scientific works was renowned.
- 1950-1952 – Irrigation system has been extended.
- 1953 – M. Golgolishvili was appointed as a director of the Garden.
- 1956 – ornamental regular garden – “Parterre” was opened.
- 1960-1975 – post-graduated courses of the Tbilisi Botanical Garden of the Georgian Academy of Sciences have started functioning.
- 1960-1975 – experimental sections have been established in Krtsanisi and village Tsavkisi, of Tbilisi environs.
- 1980 – Dendrological Museum of the Botanical Garden has been established.
- 1998 – Botanical Garden became a member of the BGCI (Botanical Gardens Conservation International).
- 2000 – International Charitable Foundation “Cartu” started financially supporting the Botanical Garden.
- 2001 – Caucasus Regional Seed Banks has been established, which in 2011 was transformed into National Seed Bank of Georgia.
- 2007 – Botanical Garden and Institute of Botany have merged.
- 2011 – Botanical Garden and Institute of Botany have split again.
- 2016 – The Secretary general of Botanic Gardens Conservation International (BGCI) Dr. Paul Smith has visited the Garden.
- 2018 – Strategic Development Plan of the National Botanical Garden of Georgia has been approved.
- 2019 – The Garden has developed the Landscape Master Plan 219-2030.