In the twelfth century, Archbishop Gelmírez ordered the construction of a church to house the relics of Santa Susana, a temple that was remodeled in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and which today is surrounded by more than three hundred year old oak trees that form a magnificent oak, the carballeira of Santa Susana.
Campo da Estrela
In 1546, the noble Rodrigo de Moscoso Osorio y Álvarez de Toledo, IV Countof Altamira, donated some agricultural land for the use and enjoyment of inhabitants of Santiago. In 1835, the Santiago city council began the creation o fthe Campo da Estrela (Field of the Star), and the Paseo da Ferradura, which surrounds the Santa Susana carballeira.
In 1885 two large sculptural figures in the shape of a lion were transfered from the Puerta Faxeira, being placed at the entrance of the Paseo da Ferradura, a semicircular path that borders the Alameda. Since then, this section has been called Paseo de los Leones (walk of the lions).