Although tradition speaks of an ancient fortress from the 12th century, the first material remains that still exist today date from the mid-15th century and are contemporaries of the first lords of Oca of whom there is documentary evidence: Álvaro de Oca and his son Suero.
The oldest baroque garden in Galicia
In 1575 the property passed into the hands of the royal crown, until in 1586 when it was acquired by María de Neyra. During several centuries, different descendants of that family inherited this entailed estate until they reached the Duchy of Medinaceli. In the 18th century, this property became a Baroque-style agricultural and residential complex, inside it houses the oldest baroque garden in Galicia, terraced and where water is the main protagonist.
After the establishment in 1978 of the Casa Ducal de Medinaceli Foundation, the pazo de Oca became part of the historical heritage of that institution. Its complex, which has been declared a historical-artistic monument in 1972, is made up of three main elements: the chapel, the palace and its gardens.