Tsinandali garden was built by Prince Alexander Chavchavadze (1786-1846) in early 19th C. by 1812, on the place of his father’s original garden he built first romantic garden. Prince Alexander specially invited Italian landscape designers to reimagine patrimonial gardens into something European. Soon Tsinandali Garden became well-known throughout Caucasus region. Visitors were comparing it to Kew and Richmond gardens.
Tsinandali garden sparkled new European trend of garden building in Georgia. Unfortunately in 1854 Tsinandali Estate and garden was burnt down by Schamil’s Caucasian military troops, Tsinandali park was reconstructed by the Russian imperial order in 1886, after Romanov Family acquired the palace and patrimony.
After the demolition of Russian regiment, garden became public space in 1918, but then in 1921 Soviet regiment turned garden and park into a wine producer’s park, original 19th century pattern changed heavily. Nevertheless, in 1987, Tsinandali Park was recognized as park of national importance.
After the fall of USSR park is under neglect; management transferred to private company and since then Tsinandali park started to return to its original 19th century pattern.
Today it is open to public to observe all the changes throughout the centuries. One can observe different styles: Romanticism, industrialism, soviet monumentalism. Infrastructure is constantly improving and it attracts more and more visitors throughout country and region.